View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ariesgirl
Paused

separate accounts?

Okay, so I understand that I cannot control my husband's drinking, but I am unwilling to finance it. We both work and deposit our full earnings into a joint checking account. We each get a set amount of cash each pay period (an "allowance" for lack of a better word) to spend as we wish. We recently bought our first house, so we have had extensive discussions about budgeting and how any "extras" we want have to come out of our allowance, which is pretty generous (I think, anyway). Now I am finding checks and debit card charges to various bars and liquor stores. There are pretty extensive charges (as I'm sure you can imagine). What do other people here do to keep the spending on alcohol from destroying the family finances? I am contemplating getting my own checking account, but I'd have to have contribution from him to run the household. It would complicate things, and would absolutely tick him off, but at least I'd feel secure knowing that the money to pay the mortgage and bills is definitely there. Thoughts, advice and experiences on this issue appreciated!