Old 01-20-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Steve58

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. It reminds me of the fable of the blind people who came across an elephant, and after examining it, were asked to describe it, and they each had a different impression of what the elephant looked like, because each had only examined a small part of it. So it goes here.

As I may have commented, the more I read, the less I know about this thing. There is simply too much conflicting information out there.

I'm not trying to alter conventional wisdom. The cases are overwhelming. It seems for most, after a certain point (determined by individual, not quantity or time) moderation is not an option. But the same conventional wisdom seems to know that a large majority of these people must follow certain paths themselves, and the moderation attempts are well documented.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know about myself yet, but I read what I can find, and incorporated life experience into it, and try to do the best for myself.

I don’t think anyone here has the right to lay down hard and fast facts, or tell someone this will not work, don’t even try it, your an alcoholic, and that’s that!

Most agree there are many degrees (and/or phases) of alcoholism. For each of them I would suggest there are at least 10 times as many recovery roads.

I wish you all well, and I will report in from time to time on my progress.

Take care,
Steve