Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
findingout
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by GettinSober View Post
Carol,

Are you suggesting that anyone attempting moderation or espousing the idea that moderation can work (is working) for them should post at http://moderation.org/ instead of SR?

I ask this as I have been concerned that people like me, that argue moderation might be able to work for some (hopefully me - I admit), are viewed by the majority of SR as unhelpful to their own recovery? I might be wrong here but I would rather post elsewhere than affect another persons thinking (in a bad way) whilst they are trying to recover?

Carol? Anyone else?
I'll chime is as "anyone else". I've been told (over and over) that I can't get anyone else sober and I can't make anyone else drunk, so I don't see anything wrong with discussion (or spirited but civil debate) on any topic related to recovery. As others have said, most alcoholics try moderation at some point during their drinking careers. This would seem to make moderation a topic related to recovery. I suspect Carol posted the link to provide a resource for practical details on moderation as most people who post here have not found success in moderation.

For me, with my personal history, attempting to moderate would be just another piece of evidence pointing to my obsession with alcohol. I don't believe that I could have found what I've found in recovery if I had been able to successfully moderate my drinking. I needed to accept that when I drink things go badly in order to discover that alcohol is just not a requirement for a happy life.

One size fits all statements about recovery are a risky proposition but so tempting to make. Most of the people I know who are successful in recovery are very passionate about it and that passion can lead us to forget that we are not all the same square peg that needs to be pounded into the same round hole. Maybe it's safe to say that if you are an alcoholic, you are better off not drinking and you'll have an easier time of finding serenity if you stop looking for it in all the wrong places. For sure I can say that I am and I did.