Old 01-20-2007, 12:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ensomniak

wow, I can't help but to chime in. First I find it interesting that there are so many different thoughts regarding Categories, and levels of alcoholism. I read in this post where there are those questioning where knowledge of certain facts come from etc.

While I do find the conversation interesting, I question categorizing alcoholics, and moderation for an alcoholic, and I will suggest why I feel this way. First of all, I do come from a long line of Alcoholics. To suggest that there of varying degrees of alcoholism is like saying who stinks less ? Stink is stink. Alcoholism is just that. If a person has a problem with alcohol..ie., can't put it down, wake and drink, binge drinkers, whatever, and that person is powerless over alcohol, they are by definition an alcoholic. Not a lite alcoholic, a weekend alcoholic, or a heavy alcoholic.

Attempting Moderation can work, sure. If it does - and long term, then that person is excercising power over alcohol and by definition, is not an alcoholic. I would not even consider condemning anyone with this label, only that person can decide if the label fits. Unfortunately for me, it fits like a glove. I don't need to describe how I drank or frequency or amounts. If I could drink in moderation, then I would probably not be reading and posting to this site right now.

Is it a disease, hereditary, environmental, a political agenda? I'll leave that for others to seek. For me, I seek sobriety, and that means no moderation.

Best to all....