Old 01-19-2007, 11:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ay100

Originally Posted by best View Post
What is an alcoholic? What others think of me because of my drinking does NOT make me an alcoholic. What "I" think of my drinking and the effect alcohol has on me is what makes me an alcoholic.

Alcoholics Can Not Moderate.

People who use alcohol in large doses that are "not" alcoholic Can moderate if they so desire and have the will power. Alcoholics can Not.
True for alcoholics but not for all the heavy drinkers i.ee binge drinkers or problem drinkers. They are a different category and the one I am categorized in as of now. Not everybody in this forum is a full blown alcoholic. Some are troubled and disturbed by their behaviour and come here to seek advise. I speak on behalf of those people who are not yet alcoholics.

Moderation for me is 2 units of drink per night for males 1 and unit for females. If I say I am determined to keep my drinking habit within the limtis of moderation I can. It is my willpower as you AA'ers refer to your higher power.

Look I am not trying to create an argument here but saying moderation will never work is not true and discouraging. A behaviour modification can work.

Behaviours can be modifed, lifestyles can be altered and obsessions can be kept under control with professional help and self determination.

So in conclusion I say one can try and can be successful as long as one is determined.