Thread: Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mongo

Nevabetta, it wouldn't surprise me if antabuse were to be discontinued. My pharmacist was able to compound it with what he had at the time in stock, however. I think that because it's a med that has been around so long and is in the public domain, there's no real money to be made on it. Just a wild guess here, but I'm willing to bet that a drug company would not be inclined to use resources on something of so little profit.

Paul, sorry to hear about your neighbour. It's difficult to inderstand what mental anguish may cause a person to take such an extreme measure. For some people, AA is a choice to help them come to grips with their own issues and their emotional response to them. Some people make different choices. Sometimes our choices do not work for us. If we survive our initial choices, maybe we can eventually make the right ones for the rest of our lives.

I think that we can agree that alcoholism is a complex condition that is difficult for a person to overcome. The anxiety generated in withdrawal and beyond can best be coped with by continued abstinence and lifestyle change. I'm happy with the choices I have made lately, including the use of antabuse to ensure abstinence for an extended period to allow me time to work on lifestyle change.

Keep well

Ron

Last edited by Mongo; 01-19-2007 at 04:58 AM.