View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nicole85

Questions About Detox

I've been posted on the Friends and Family Forum for awhile now and I was advised to post here as well in attempts to get some answers to questions I have. My A fiance has been drinking heavily for the past five years. Prior to us meeting, he would drink about 8-10 22oz beers a night, often starting at around 5pm. Since us meeting about a year ago, he has weaned himself down to about 6 22oz beers (sometimes less) a night, starting at around 8pm. Now he is ready for recovery. He has a doctor's appointment to discuss his detox on the 31st of this month. His insurance does not cover any sort of acohol abuse treatment, so he going to attempt to detox at home. He is hoping that the doctor will be able to perscribe some of the new medication for withdrawal symptoms. I will not be attending his appointment and I had some questions about what it is truly like. I've read the symptoms from medical sites but I wanted a better understanding of what he would truly be going through. I also wanted to know some dangerous things to look out for, what I can do to make it easier, and what I need to make sure he does to make this as easy as possible (I KNOW this won't be easy but for example, should he drink alot of water? do I need to make sure he eats? how long do I need to watch over him before I can safely assume he is in the clear of needing medical attention?).. I know most of you probably support inpatient detox, and I suppose I do to but this is his decision and I know I cannot force him to do anything, he needs to do this on his own.. And because of that, I would just like to know what I am in store for since he made this decision.

And also, from now until the time he has the appointment, should he continue to try to wean down on his intake? He seems to be doing quite well with this.. Will that help or will it just be bad either way?