View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
spork

My story is like ExDrunk's.

I got sober 17 years ago, with the help of AA. The religious (because no matter how we spin it - AA is firmly rooted in Judeo-Christian religious philosophy) stuff was a problem for me in the beginning, but I was desperate to stay there, to get sober, because I knew I was going die. One day a guy who had been sober for a few years told me, "believe that I believe," and I could do that. I listened to people who had long term sobriety, and they all spoke of their glorious relationship with a higher power.

Oh, how I tried. I had a Christian sponsor at one point, I was trying so hard. I prayed, I did everything - but I never felt that connection that others spoke so glowingly of.

A few years ago, I became an organizer for a social justice organization. Eventually I became involved with a Unitarian Universalist Church - the and the last place I expected to be was a church!! Some UU's are Christian, some are atheist, some are Jews, Buddhists, humanists, pagans, pretty much anything you can think of. There is no book, no dogma, and all are welcome, regardless of religious background or sexual orientation. I found my place. I found my community - a group of smart, funny people who are deeply concerned with social justice. My minister sometimes reads from the Bible, but is just as likely to read from Ralph Waldo Emerson, or Mary Oliver. I joined the local UU congregation.

Oddly enough, joining a church set me free. I was able to come out of the closet as an atheist - I was able to stop pretending that I had a relationship with a higher power. I haven't been to an AA meeting for about a year and a half - but after reading this thread, I'm going to go back to be there for the newcomers who are atheists. It sounds as if they need "old timers" like me to help teach a little tolerance to the dogmatics.

Thank you, all of you. Reading this had helped me.