View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I thank you, nolonger, for your post, and I like the way you characterize your beliefs.

I don't feel any aversion to the word "atheist." I think it's a relative term, dependent upon ones own personal beliefs. Whereas I might not feel any sting in it, someone who considers it a term to describe something counter to what they believe in might (in using it to describe their opposite). I would say that I'm not an atheist, because I believe in something other than my own existence (though I have toyed with the idea that thought creates reality, and if only I could change my thoughts, I could recreate my reality. Wait!! I think I have!! So maybe.....lol).

I think that we all have a need to feel purpose in life, regardless of the form that purpose might take. Egocentric and self-centered thought and action doesn't work for me, as I start thinking that I can create the reality for those around me. I can control it. And if I feel that way, then I'm never going to come to the point of realizing that I can't change my drinking or using patterns; that once I pick up, I've surrendered all control of my own positve existence, save for the destruction (which is hard to characterize as "positive" even if some consider the value in the bodies we are told we must step over....god, I hate that!). I have chosen to rewrite my existence in such a way that all the experience it encompasses are now of value to me. They help me to relate to others who are struggling to find purpose.

I love these kinds of discussions. They've formed me as much as the energy of the universe, once open to it, has formed me....or the collective memories, if I adopt your ideas (which I like very much). Free exchange with open minds is a beautiful thing.

To me, "atheist" is more of a label for someone who steadfastly refuses to entertain an idea other than that which can be empirically proven using methods recognized as scientific. I try to see all theories as possible. I don't have to accept them as truth in order to see their potential value to those who hold them. I don't even have to like them, nor do I have to refrain from debating them. I just have to (at least, today!) accept that I don't have all the answers. If I did...gee, that would make me god...and that's one thing I'm pretty sure I'm not. At least, not just me

Peace & Love,
Sugah