View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
kats

CarolD,

I really appreciate your posting that information. I know it is valuable and true. On the other hand, I get the feeling from reading a lot of the messages on this board, that many people do not seek medical treatment for their detox (not that that's okay). I have a few of the risk factors listed and think that medical detox is probably the best way to go, but as I said earlier, I don't feel comfortable going to my GP for this. I can't explain it. I mean, if and when I'm able to achieve complete sobriety, I might be able to "confess" to him that this has been an issue in my life, but right now -- I just can't do it. Maybe I could seek the help of a psychiatrist that deals with alcohol issues?

I'm not doing really well as the afternoon has progressed and am increasingly afraid of going to sleep tonight. I guess I know that the "white-knuckling" is not a good thing -- but maybe necessary? I've been to AA in the past (for about six months), and I just find it's not the right environment for me.

I don't know what to do. I'm feeling sort of lost right now. Scared and lost.

Bobnik -- you are absolutely right. Most alcoholics cannot control their alcohol -- which is why they are alcoholic. Still, it seems worth a try?

Thanks everyone.