View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kats

Thanks everyone, for your input. I kinda figured the nightmares would be related to the greatly reduced amount of alcohol I consumed last night, but since this has never happened to me before, I couldn't be sure. As much as I hate to think others experience the same thing, it's good to know I'm not alone out there.

My step father in-law, who is an extremely hard drinker, had to go in for surgery a few years back and ended up having some complications so was in the hospital for much longer than the over-nighter that he expected. He was fine at first, and then about Day 6 in the hospital he started going through massive DT's. They ended up keeping him in the hospital much longer to help him through this. My mother in-law said the doctor told her that the DT's don't come immediately if you've been drinking hard and long -- that the longer and harder you drank, the longer it'll take for them to appear. Has anyone else experienced that? I mean, it seems like as soon as your body is rid of alcohol (a couple of days?) you'd go into DT's if you were going to have them.

I understand why some of you have suggested that I seek medical care but I have to say, I'm not comfortable *at all* with going to my primary care doctor and explaining all of this to him. I know, I know -- he's heard it all and probably wouldn't be shocked -- but still, it's too hard and I know I won't do it. Maybe I should go find someone new just for this particular issue?

Thanks again for all of your input. I'm still doing pretty good today but the fear of the nightmares has me wavering about what I drink tonight. Like someone said above, it's silly that nightmares would make you turn back to an addiction that is more harmful to you -- but man, they were so vivid and scary. Maybe I should have tried to taper more slowly? Like go from 8 shots down to six for a few days, then down to four for a few days, etc. Any thoughts?