Old 12-28-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GingerM

Mlynn, the first time anyone ever goes to therapy, it's scarey as all heck. I'm not kidding when I say I think it was the most frightening thing that's ever happened to me. The first time my father went to therapy, I took him - as we sat in the parking lot, he said "I can't spit. I spent two tours in Viet Nam having people intentionally try to kill me, and I was never as scared then as I am now".

AlAnon is great because, like this board, you don't have to share if you don't want to. You can just sit and listen. You can also imagine all of us on this board, standing right behind you as you walk through those doors. AlAnon is not as prying as a one on one therapist would be, so you can kind of get your feet wet.

Based on what you said, I would not go to a meeting with your mom, her issues are hers to resolve and not yours to try to make her resolve.

We are all walking through those doors with you. Some of us will be inside waiting for you (metaphorically speaking, of course). The people in there have been where you are, some are still where you are, some have moved away from that point, but all can relate.

Think of it as a live version of this board. These are not people who won't understand. These are people who understand all too well. I strongly urge you to go to one meeting and just sit through it, maybe pick up some literature if you can.

Life is so much brighter on the other side, it would be a shame to let that fear of the unknown get to you. As for being afraid of being healthy, I don't think it's being healthy you're afraid of, I do believe it's fear of the unknown. I can promise you that healthy is different for everyone, but it's always better than unhealthy.