View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hector
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, (sailor). Welcome, (raider). I am so glad you both made it here. Stick around, keep reading, keep posting. We need you as much as you need us. Helping you helps us. Reminding us where we came from helps us to not go back there.
That may sound strange. You may think "what the heck is he talking about!" Don't worry about it.
The only way any of us stay sober is one day at a time. Today is the only day I have. Yesterday is gone forever, I can't change anything about it. Tomorrow isn't here yet. I can and do make plans for it, but I don't live there. What can I do today? That's all that matters. I can stay sober today. A camel can go 24 hours without a drink, so can I. All I'm trying to do is go to bed tonight sober. Tomorrow, if I wake up, I can work on tomorrow's sobriety then. My job as a sober, recovering alcoholic and AA member, is to make my actions and reactions the same as someone who is not an alcoholic, and to stay sober until I die of something else.

Go to an AA meeting. Then go to another one. Keep going to different meetings until you find one that suits you, then make that your home group. Get to know the members and let them get to know you. Don't miss a meeting. If you had kidney failure and were told to be at the hospital for dialysis every Tuesday and Friday at 9 AM, guess where you'd be every Tuesday and Friday at 9 AM? Give your home group the same life-or-death dedication.
I've been sober over 18 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.