Old 12-24-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ronron

This is a rather strange situation, but I could use some advice...

My family of five allowed a family friend to move in with us in June. We knew in advance that she has a drinking problem, she admitted it (she's 60 and was asked to retire because of her problem). She told us at the time that she had it controlled and we believed her. Since she moved in with us, she has been hospitalized for what we thought was a heart attack but turned out to be a bleeding ulcer. The last six months have been such a roller coaster ride. When she's sober, she's a wonderful caring friend. When she's drinking which is more and more often and earlier and earlier in the day, she's a toddering nincompoop. Thankfully, she is not abusive, but I suspect she drinks and drives frequently. She hides her alcohol carefully, sometimes in water bottles, sometimes in her car, I think?? I can never find it or empty bottles, but her actions indicate extreme inebriation. Which makes me wonder, are there other health problems that look like alcoholism? If she smells drunk and she acts drunk, she's drunk, right?

My husband and I no longer allow her to drive our children anywhere because of our suspicions. She denies that she is drinking to excess even though she reeks of vodka, stumbles around and can barely speak. I have resigned myself to the fact that I can't change her. How can I cope with her? I am a mother of three with two jobs and a husband, I simply don't have time for Al-Anon, though I'm sure it would be helpful. ANY advice would be good at this point.

Thanks,
Roni