View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
prodigal

I'm a bit confused here and need a little clarification. If I'm understanding you correctly, you drove him to the train while he was sober, but now that he is off the wagon he is driving himself. Is that right or am I confused? Do you only have one family car? Can he join a carpool group that drives to the train station?

I do understand your frustration at being inconvenienced for a long period of time; however, you have allowed him to inconvenience you. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but there are two people involved in this situation, so it stands to reason that each person is responsible for what they will allow and not allow. It's a matter of setting boundaries and sticking to them.

Your husband is an adult. He can take care of himself. He is presently driving himself to the train. It sounds as if he wants you to chauffeur him in addition to dragging your children out of bed. It sounds to me as if he's trying to dump a lot of guilt on you in order to manipulate you into driving him. Tell him you won't drive him. Period. Let him throw a fit, get drunk, blow up, whatever. Hold your ground. It's as if one of your children started having a tantrum. You could pay attention or you could ignore it. Ever notice how kids run out of steam a lot faster when you ignore their fits?

It sounds to me as if you have enough on your hands raising children and keeping a home.