View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
embraced2000

interesting....ok...here's another scenario....sales gimmicks are not new...they are used to sell their product...cars, homes, entertainment...etc.....why would it be any more distasteful for a bartender to use sales gimmicks than a car salesman? or a desk clerk at a motel? or a furniture salesman? their job is to sell their product.

i work in the lodging industry. believe me, i don't like many of the people that i deal with, but they never know it.....my job is to make the sale, make them feel like special guests, and get them to return.

some of these people using my services do not have the most moral intentions, i'm sure.....but unless a law is being broken or policies being ignored, i leave them be, and make them feel welcome.

it is against the law to knowingly serve an intoxicated person in a bar where ilive. the proprietor is held responsible. that doesn't stop the alcoholic from finding ways, or the money grabber from ignoring the law. people do what people do. it is still, ultimately the adults responsibility to take care of his or her business in a responsible manner. an adult simply cannot make choices of alcoholism, infidilety, financial ruin, and lawlessness and blame it on the people that served the drink, made him cheat, took his money, and made him get arrested. i've heard all of this so much from the alcoholic in my life, i could just scream. it is not our fault that they do what they do.

jmho

love to all
jeri