Old 12-19-2006, 10:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

That is why it is called faith, yup. I have a faith that is very conservative but I do not apply it to my recovery. It just doesn't work for me. I do ask my HP to help me by giving me strength to work my recovery but I do not rely on the HP ideal of NA/AA.

I am almost a Deist that way. I often tease that I am a Catholic Deist

There is nothing that men make a greater noise about than the "mysteries of the Christian religion." The divines gravely tell us "we must adore what we cannot comprehend." Some of them say the "mysteries of the Gospel" are to be understood only in the sense of the "ancient fathers." ... [Some] contend [that] some mysteries may be, or at least seem to be, contrary to reason, and yet received by faith. [Others contend] that no mystery is contrary to reason, but that all are "above" it. [10]

On the contrary, we hold that reason is the only foundation of all certitude, and that nothing revealed, whether as to its manner or existence, is more exempted from its disquisitions than the ordinary phenomena of nature. Wherefore, we likewise maintain, according to the title of this discourse, that there is nothing in the Gospel contrary to reason, nor above it; and that no Christian doctrine can be properly called a mystery. ...

Now, as we are extremely subject to deception, we may without some infallible rule, often take a questionable proposition for an axiom, old wives' fables for moral certitude, and human impostures for divine revelation....
From John Toland, Christianity Not Mysterious

More about Deism here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism