Thread: Drinking
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dayxday

Originally Posted by Cali wife View Post
I have friends and family, but I hate talking with them...they don't give much advice that can change anything. My mother is a drunk too...she says it won't hurt to allow the drinking in the house...
Hi Cali, There are many of us out here who are living with or have lived with an alcoholic.

I too have friends and a very large supportive family but nothing they could do or say changed anything for me. I have found alanon and that is changing things for me. Alanon members are people just like you and I. The Alanon people can't give advice that to change him, through Alanon you will learn how to change yourself and how you deal with the alcoholic in your life.

I tried the route of just keeping my AH's drinking to the house - something that was suggested by his mother (who is also an A) but it didn't help. In fact as time went along his drinking and actions became worse.

I am still in the early stages of accepting that I have to change and that I can't change him - only he can do that for himself. But I have found that coming here and going to alanon meetings has helped me to find a better way to deal with how I feel and to find more peace than I had before.

It's comforting to have the common bond and communication with others who are suffering from living with an alcoholic.

Prayers and hugs to you.