View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rocky
Paused

Lightbulb I need some serious advise

Hello to everyone out there! You guys are just great!
Okay...I need some advise.

My boyfriend is completly allergic to alcohol (he breaks out in handcuffs )! Anyway, do to his drinking problem, he landed himself in prison (felony DUI). He's been sober in prison for 2 years but he's due for release in 30 days.

My question is...how do I help support his sobriety without stepping on his toes? He hasn't mentioned if part of his parole requires alcohol treatment and I don't want to ask. He wrote me the other day totally petrified about everything he has to face when he gets out (getting a job, having money, etc.). I told him that no matter what, he needs to create a support system around him- whether he joins AA or talks to a shrink or a priest or whatever.

Does anyone have anything else that they could add? Maybe something else I could tell him or suggest if he asks?

All I know is that I've been there for him and will continue to be as long as I don't have to watch him self destruct. Comments?

A bit about his personality (if this helps): He's your typical white collar, sports loving, all american guy. He's exceptionally smart (unless he drinks a case of beer), non-abusive (except to himself), and so loving and caring- definately not your typical inmate! He has the biggest heart and wants to help everyone and fix everything.

Regarding his big heart...I also advised him to start focusing on himself and not everyone elses problems!

Anyway...any advise or comments would be helpful!
Thanks so much!