Thread: stopping
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 08:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Don S

Originally posted by wiebe lemstra
Hello Chy and Moot. I've sent an e-mail to your address asking for the links. Absolutely great idea (I hope)! I seam to remember that AA membership was possible through the mail if there wasn't a group in the area, so why not online? Do you have to be completely stopped before joining, or are there no hard rules on that? My program of slowing down is working well (helped in part by this stupid heat wave). No, Holland doesn't usually have these, and almost no-one has an airco in their house. My girlfriend and I tried not to move too much and I worked on not choking on a hot beer that came out of the fridge a few minutes before. Phew ! Hope it goes soon. Looking forward to waking up and drinking tons of water while attending an online AA meeting. I'll start reading the BB again right after this post. I gather that both of you are still struggling too, so strength to you.
Thanks for the posts,
Wiebe
Hi, Wiebe,
Hey, this heat wave could be a great opportunity. I've been reading about temperatures in Europe that sound pretty awful--100F in London? Yuck! Where I live (near Sacramento, CA) our average high temperature is 93F in July, and we just had 17 days over 100F--which was not a record--but the humidity is 10 - 20%. That makes the heat bearable, but we all are well trained about the health effects of searing temperatures.

With the humidity you're describing, alcohol could actually be lead to serious health problems. Remember, it increases body heat and acts as a diuretic--making you pee away body fluids that you need right now! Plus, your kidneys and liver are working overtime in the heat. So cutting back to as little beer as you can stand would be in your body's best interests right now! Plus, then you could figure out how little beer you feel you "need" and try cutting that amount even more.

Folks here might find it interesting if you posted parts of the BB which you find useful, or which you'd like more info on. I'm not in AA, so it would be educational to me to watch you go through that learning process. You might also check out some of the links at the bottom of the page of AA alternatives. If you have questions about SMART Recovery, which I've used, let me know. There are useful tools in all the programs. One thing they all share is tricks for making early sobriety more successful.

Stay cool, move slowly, keep your salt intake up, and drink plenty of water!
Don S