View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 03:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Music

Hi Jinx,
The Big Book in the Dr.'s Opinion talks about craving, compulsion, and allergy. The Joe and Charlie tapes talk about the processing of alcohol by the body, the enzymes in the liver, etc.
Your question though had to do with addiction. Why does anyone become addicted to anything? It's my understanding that I became addicted to alcohol because when I took that first drink, it did something for me....not to me but "for" me. I changed in that instant inside to something or someone different. That's why I don't think it's important why we drank, what we drank, how much we drank, when we drank, or who we drank with. The important thing is what did the drink do for/to me whan I drank. This is the insanity I believe they talk about in the second step. That very first drink affected me in such a way that I spent years trying to duplicate that feeling. Sometimes I almost got it back but not quite, so I kept trying. Even when I was sick and hung over, in trouble with my wife...whatever, there was that thought in the back of my mind that told me that if I could only duplicate that original "feeling" everything would be ok.
Of course, I was never able to duplicate that feeling. What's nice is that now, today, I don't have to try to duplicate that feeling with booze 'cause I found a way to feel good just by being me. That's pretty cool. I guess booze helped me not to care who I was. Today I am who I am and 99% of the time I like who I am.
Take care Jinx and try not to waste any more time with this. Analizing paralizes.