View Single Post
Old 08-08-2003, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
PianoGirl
Paused

I've never done any drugs. I went straight for alcohol. And when I went. I went hard. I liked drinking because it made me feel so at home, it felt so natural to be drinking.

But that started the spiral of addiction. It's like a bad chemical reaction inside my body whenever I drank. Something about my body didn't know how to handle alcohol the way most people can. And like Carol said, that book "Under the Influence" actually talks about alcoholics cells not processing alcohol the way the average person would. It's a very informative book.

Some people don't agree that alcohol is a disease, but all I can say is for me it WAS. I also feel that the tendancy to be drawn to alcohol can be strongly hereditary. Such as in my family. Neither of my parents have problems with it, but my Uncle died from it, my grandfather was an alcoholic, one of my cousins died from it also. Several of my cousins have alcohol problems now. And this is on BOTH sides of my family. Seeing such a strong trend of alcoholics in my family, I should have been more cautious, I suppose. All I know is it's one of those things that I'll never be able to use, because I don't know how to use it in moderation. Once I take that first sip it's like the alcohol just takes complete control of my actions and feelings. Like a puppet on a string. So, if I want control of my life, I can't let the alcohol into it. Anywho, That's my story!

PG