View Single Post
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Jinx,

Well I am sure you'll get various opinions on this and FOR ME I don't know. I assure you had I known what would have "got me addicted to alcohol" two decades ago I surely would have nipped it in the bud then! I didn't wake up one day and say I want to be an alcoholic and prefer this addiction over others. I too used to smoke pot. Somehow and I don't question why or how I "outgrew" it and turned to alcohol. I never craved pot. All I can say is simply why do some end up with addictions and some don't? Be it alcohol, drugs, cigerettes. I don't know the answer to that, be it genetic, upbringing, learned behavior, a disease and allergy many thoughts on this. The American Medical Association calls it a disease.

I do know I was powerless over alcohol and may never know the reason. Also IMO once I became mentally addicted I became physically addicted or maybe it's vice versa.

Fortunatly, I have learned to control it through the program of AA. Maybe the more time I have in recovery will reveal the reason behind my alcoholism maybe it won't. I am just glad to have a program to help me avoid that drink one day at a time for life!

If my DOC wasn't alcohol it may or may not be something else, I don't know.

Yours is a question that still baffles ME!
I'm not sure I should be even replying, just wanted to give you my 2 cents.