Thread: Where To Start
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
hoeboe

I made it to my first AA meeting tonight! As I am sure all of you were at a treatment program, I was skeptical about the people I would find here. OH MY GOD! Unbelieveable! The people are all so nice and supportive and it sure felt good to talk (even though the words didn't come as fast as i thought they would) to others about it. The other stories I heard well imagine to my surprise ( or lack there of) sounded pretty close to mine. It was nice to have a sort of "pre-amble" if you will with this site. They really are just an extension of one another. Whether or not you are a 12 stepper or choosing a different path, we all know what the fundamental is.... "CHANGE!" To have the support both there and here are GREAT!

When I was telling my wife about it tonight she was asking me questions about it and I was kinda lost for words and couldn't realy explain much of it to her. I think she felt a bit confused and maybe (worried??) :/ I told Her that right now I can't explain it to her but maybe I will be able to once I go more and get to know the routine. I also told her that if she wanted to that she could go to a meeting or 2 of AL-ANON where she could find out about what I am going through from people who have experienced it first hand. I am sure she will do it.

I met a great guy there tonight who bought me "MY" copy of the Big Book. He has been sober 17 years. All he said when he gave it to me was "READ IT". I noticed when I got home that he had written in the front of it "You are never alone" and his phone number. He said to call at any time of the day or night and that he always answers his phone no matter what time of day, That felt good!

Anyway. I am up at 3am fighting the daily clusterheadache and also have to get up for work in 3hrs. I better try and get back at er and get what I can before the sun rises.

NO FEAR!
Hoeboe

P.S. I got my first chip tonight!! I gonna collect the whole set!! LOL