Thread: First time here
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
parentrecovers
let it grow!

Hello HOUSEWORK, welcome -

I have a 22 year old daughter facing her 2nd DUI charge. She is an alcoholic, powerless over the disease. She admits this now, and is seeking treatment. 40 plus days clean and sober, and a very long road of recovery in front of her.

It took her a long time and a lot of pain to get her to where she is today.

Ultimately, it was after a horrific black out car accident, an arrest, a emergency room stay, and a week plus stay in a lock down young adult mental health unit that she started to sober up and see her path of destruction. It was with the help of several doctors, social workers, the police, a lawyer, adult family members who care about her, and my husband and I all giving her her the same message that she was able to MAKE UP HER OWN MIND she was ready for help. Here's the message - "This is not about getting out of trouble, this is about staying out of trouble".

My husband and I are trying to take care of ourselves with Alanon and private counseling. We are trying not enable your daughther, it will only slow down her recovery, just as it slowed down her admittance of the disease. We are getting as much professional support as we can for ourselves and for our daughter - we cannot do this alone.

I hope this is helpful. Take good care, K