Thread: stopping
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2003, 04:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
phoenix

I can tell you that I managed to stop smoking using the principles of AA.But I had been sober many years,and had hit rock bottom with it.It would have been difficult,if not impossible in early recovery.Most meetings allowed smoking in those days.

I was getting pnuemonia and bronchitis on a regular basis,because of my heavy smoking.My doctor said I could end up on oxygen.I couldn't picture riding my motorcycle,playing with my kid,doing my job,all tethered to an oxygen tank.But I couldn't seem to let it go,either.I had tried and failed too often.So I asked my HP to take it from me.This did NOT make it easy.But I have not had a cigarette since.It's been about six years,and I don't miss them at all.All things are possible when we become willing.

phoenix

(In February of this year,my son's father died of lung cancer as a direct result of smoking.He was 47 years old.It is a horrible way to die,it steals your life in slow motion,until a walk across the room is like climbing Mt Everest....only more painful by far.)