View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 04:10 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
carlton

"Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams.

For me, 'spiritual growth' is about learning to be better at being. I think that the word ''spiritual', with its connotations of 'Holy Spirit' and the like, causes confusion. I have never been able to understand what is so "sprirtual" about these so-called 'spiritual values', like honesty, integrity, generosity and so on. These values are human, natural, and most definitely of this world, not some imagined other world. So I too think that the term 'secular spirituality' is awkward, but for rather different reasons to you, TenChips. Welcome, by the way.

Yeah I preffer the term "power greater than myself" to the term "higher power"...I can deffinately see plenty of powers greater than myself in life, so it helps me...
Yeah, me too. The very fact that I acknowledge these powers, and the fact that the way I respond to them often helps me, tells me I'm on the right track.

But praying to any of them? What for? I might as well pray to a doorknob!