View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LucyUK
one day at a time

Hi Found.

I think someone else summed it up for me - to thine own self be true. I too have other conditions which I struggle with. I have reconciled myself to a point where I understand the limitations that my other conditions put on me but that my primary illness is my alcoholism as that, left untreated, will kill me, the other 2 things won't.

I genuinely am comfortable attending 3 meetings regularly each week and I go to those meetings no matter what. If I feel too ill to drive, I call someone for a lift. If I am too tired, I go and snooze if I can't stay awake. No one minds! They would rather I am at the meeting if only to get an hours' peace! If I am feeling overwhelmed by people & crowds, I wear my earplugs (I can still hear, they just lower the volume) and wrap myself in my coat giving out 'stay away' vibes and sit in the corner of the room. When I'm feeling stronger, I explain why I do this, to those I'm friendly with. The point is, I will adapt for my conditions to do whatever it takes to get my mtgs-medicine; the stuff at home and talking on the phone is much easier to manage anyway at a time in the day I feel able to cope.

Oh, and I tend to drive myself to meetings alone, though if someone calls me for a lift I will always agree. I have autism, albeit high-functioning, and I need to be alone for periods of time. Having children means that the drive is often my only alone time each day. I'm comfortable with this. I do some behind the scenes service instead, organising mail-shots for retreats and stuff, that I can do alone, quietly. Playing to my strengths and taking all my conditions into account.

I hope you find your way. Pray to your HP to ensure you are being honest about your motives and let go of the rest.