View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I, too, have multiple disabilities and conditions that often make a meeting at the end of a long and/or painful day feel like the last thing I want to do, but if it's one of my "regular" meeting nights, I go. For the first two years of my recovery, that would have been every single night. Now, it's two or three times a week, and if my semester wasn't so busy, it would be more.

When I first got sober, I was in a wheelchair and actively trying to learn pain management techniques that didn't involve chemicals. By day's end, I was often exhausted. Some things I had to do in order to make room for both my alcoholism recovery and my physical recovery were to take naps in the afternoon, limit the number of appointments or outtings during the day, and more effectively spread my activities throughout the day or week. I don't know what you're dealing with, as you haven't been specific, and you don't say whether or not you work. Though by no means should you feel obligated, if you were to share a little more specifically, perhaps some of us could offer some suggestions that might make your life a little easier and help you get to those meetings in the evenings (or afternoons, if your area has them).

AA is all about solutions. We all have problems, and we could talk about the negatives until the cows come home, but I think that your AA friends are trying to show you that all things get better in recovery. That's why we feel so strongly about putting recovery first.

Oh, btw, today, I live an extremely full life. On a good day (and they are many!), save for the cane I walk with, you'd not know I'm disabled. I truly believe that my physical condition is a direct result of working on my recovery from alcoholism.

Peace & Love,
Sugah