View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Found

Multiple conditions & disabilities in AA

I have several minor disabilities and chronic conditions and don't get professional support in self-managing them.
It might mean I can't get to AA often because other support situations and just plain rest, not to mention looking after myself, occupy the rest of my evenings and weekends.
Some people in the fellowship instead of trying to find a range of areas to relate to me in, try to concentrate on the frequency of my attendance and seem to do some head shaking.
My last sponsor when I happened to mention some other conditions in passing (I thought a sponsor is someone that is supposed to know you) immediately said I should stop making excuses. He didn't even trouble to say excuses for what.
I'm not a why person, I'm a how person. I'm not an excuse person, I'm a trivial reason person (see my contributions to Sharon's threads).
We all know why we all drank. It was to comfort our nerves.
I would welcome more diversity in AA meetings. Primary purpose was never intended to suppress parts of reality (you just give them a passing mention at meetings) and doesn't need to extend outside meetings anyway. I know people who insist on talking politics over the washing-up (opposite extreme)!
Lots of people come to AA about twice and not again. Some of them I am sure don't see sufficient attraction (see Tradition Six) or identification. Some members are in my opinion too sure why those aren't coming back.
I'm an AA believer and enthusiast and especially for the Traditions which are our beating heart.
Anyone got a take on this?