View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 09:52 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
chicago
Raised from the Dead

Dom

we are very very similar. im 26 and 9 months ago i kicked a 5-year heroin addiction cold turkey over 3 1/2 days in a chair at a public detox. i too had a GF of 5 years (she left me) low self-esteem and struggled MIGHTILY with cutting off my life-long friends (who didnt necessarily use heroin but still smoked weed and drank which would lead me back to heroin).

i had to change my cell # and living situation (moved to a recovery house for 8 months). kicking a 5 year heroin habit was beyond dark scary and morbid especially considering i suffered from survivors guilt for still being alive when 4 good friends of mine had died.

i wish we lived in the same city because i would take you to some amazing meetings...we have so much in common. just remember this, on january 28th 2006 i was half dead with no forms of ID, not a dollar in my pocket, just the clothes on my back, suicidal, and waving the white flag on life completely. as of today i have my own place, work for bank of america, have a bank account, the most amazing friends in the world, my family's trust and respect, and purpose for living.

i was told if you work the steps you will be amazed before you are halfway through. i, my friend, am AMAZED. life is so good know sometimes i feel crying tears of happiness. i am so excited to see how good your life can get with the 12 step program. PM me if you need anything...ill never forget detoxing from heroin but the big book taught me that our dark past is the greatest possesion we have and with it we can avert death and misery for others (pg 124 family afterward).