View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

The Meaning of Humility

By JCampb1048

I attend a group therapy session which meets before my Thursday SOS meeting. Last week we brought in a new member. As the session drew to a conclusion we were asked to share our favorite meeting with this new guy. Of course, I said, my favorite meeting was the SOS meeting which convened right after the therapy session and invited the newcomer to attend. This rankled one of the staunch AAers who began to proselytize about the lack of "humility" in SOS and how our program lacked "service". I asked this individual if he had any children. He answered no. I told him that I had three and that I was involved with parent organizations, sat on the board of an Education Foundation, was the past president of my homeowners association, that I coached Little League and Soccer teams and that I spend seven to ten hours a week every week working for free for the community. I also told him as an atheist I felt I had less ego than those who believe a Higher Power has time to spend time listening to their prayers and when their lives were over, was going take their spirits to heaven. I have the humility to believe, I told him, that when I die, I will disappear. All that is left is what I have passed on to the people I touched while I was here. Now, who has the inflated ego?