View Single Post
Old 07-27-2003, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HarryH
JUST FOR TODAY

Jewel, getting a sponsor for me was the best thing that happened to me, early in recovery. It was suggested to me, to pick out someone I could identify with, relate to, and feel comfortable with. And then I asked my Higher Power to put someone in my life. And that is what happened.

I tried working this program of recovery my own way, twice before. And my own way brought me back out. But with someone to give me some guidance, someone that God could and would work through, I got what I needed.

Today I have a sponsor that has taken the 12 Steps of recovery. And I am taking the Steps, one at at time, and in order, with my sponsor. And I am glad that I am doing the steps that way, with a sponsor. And it was suggested to me to make sure that I am thorough and completely convinced on a step before I move to another.

I can admit that I am an alcoholic, and I can accept that fact also. I have surrendered to alcohol and I have surrendered to a HP and the program of AA.

My life was unmanageable, and there is no doubt in my mind of that now. And I also accept that. And today, my life is still unmanageable at times.

My Higher Power gives me a reprieve from the obsession of alcohol on a daily basis. I get on my knees and ask Him for help each and every morning. And as long as I don't take that first drink, and ask for help, and go to meetings, I am assured that I won't get back into the insanity of active alcoholism.

And today, I have complete faith and trust in my Higher Power to care for me. So I do turn my life and will over to His care on a daily basis knowing, that as long as I do my best to do the right thing, He will take care of me.

And I am now in the process of taking my 4th Step.

And that's what taking the Steps are, a process. And to practice the Steps on a daily basis, makes it a life long process. Never ending. Being on a spiritual journey that doesn't have a destination. And what a beautiful journey it is.

And if it helps any, I would just like for you to know that I have been clean and sober, ONE DAY AT A TIME, now for 2 years and seven months to this day. With the guidance of a Higher Power and the fellowship of AA and the Program of the 12 Steps of Recovery.

Keep it simple, take it easy, one day at a time, just for today.
Ask for help, go to meetings, get a sponsor, and don't forget to thank my HP for keeping me clean and sober for one more day.
Get telephone numbers and get used to using the telephone so when you need help, the phone won't be too heavy to pick up.

These are some of the suggestions that were given to me early in sobriety that I choose to take and follow.

For this drunk, if I want what these people have, then I have to do what they do, to get it.

Keep coming back and God Bless.

Harry