Old 10-06-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
an'ka

Recovery vs. temporary cessation of drinking

Hello all. How typical is it for an alcoholic to stop drinking for several months? Every time I decide that my marriage is completely over and all that needs to be done is to file divorce papers, my AH stops binging and comes back from the dead, so to speak. He looks for work, behaves like a human being, plays with our daughter...Despite my own admonitions, I've allowed him to stay in my apartment until he leaves town for his new job, and truth be told, it has been great to have another adult in the house to cook dinners, take care of our toddler and such. It is so easy to assume that this normalcy will last forever and he is finally serious about sobriety. My experience tells me that he will return to drinking. That's the bottom line, but my heart so wants to believe that we will finally have a family. I feel like I cannot relax, I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop, especially now that he is in my house. So, how do you know when an alcoholic actually means it? Or do they mean it every time they promise sobriety and are just unable to follow through?