Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
GreenTea
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Hey, sorry its taken me so long to respond... Yes, I was a beer drinker!

My typical cycle was weekend binge drinking, recover from the hangover on Sunday, and back to the workweek on Monday. I drank a lot of Harp Lager (yum!).

Towards the end there, when I was deep into the spiral, I was going out about every other day after work, closing the place, finding another, not getting home until very early in the morning, try to grab a few hours of sleep and start over again. When I was coming home from work, (whether I had free time or not), I was either thinking about which place to stop at first, or else I was still hungover and just wanted to go back to bed.

I drank a lot of beer. The last couple times out I started including shots too, and wound up in handcuffs both times.

It isn't the form the alcohol takes, its the alcohol itself. It doesn't matter if its in beer, wine or a mixer. What matters is how much of it you take and how often. For me, I was taking high doses regularly about three times a week before I stopped. I was a heavy beer drinker, and once I started I wouldn't stop.

The thirty day mark is an important point. The alcohol has fully worked its way out of your system, and you're past all the physical stuff, (you may not have noticed it for what it was).

I can certainly relate to getting sick of always talking about nothing but alcohol. Its just your brain waking up again, that's all. Use the time before and after meetings to chat about other stuff. Do some service work to bring other activities into your life. Have dinner with people.

Be careful though. Now that you're past the physical stuff, the emotional and psychological stuff will start up strong. Recognize the disease when its talking to you, lying to you, trying to get you back. This is the period when you'll encounter lots of self-cons and self-deceptions -- some people describe it as a committee inside their heads -- you'll tell yourself anything just to get past that hurdle of the first beer (and once you start, one leads to twelve or more).

I think you're in the right place. You are not alone!