View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

Stacy,
I go to www.webmd.com when I want information on drugs and/or conditions.

I've dealt with anxiety and depression. I've been on (and still have a prescription to take as needed), xanax. There are many variables that come into play regarding this whole situation.

One thing for sure, drinking will only exaserbate both anxiety and depression. If you have an alcohol dependency, you really need to take care of that first. Taking xanax won't help if you continue to take the substance - alcohol - that's probably causing the condition in the first place.

Marte has an excellent point too. Call, or go in and talk to, your pharmacist. That person is trained in all the aspects of meds. Actually, they know much more than doctors do about meds. But, they will not, indeed, they CANNOT, give you medical advice. They will strictly limit the conversation to the drug itself.

It sounds as if your doctor is not aware of the extent of your alcohol use. Please do inform him or her. If s/he *is* aware, and gave you xanax anyway, well....you may want to consider an alternative physician.

Wishing you the best.

Shalom!