View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
stacey

A little freaked – info please!!

Hi guys,

I finally went to my doc last week about my anxiety, which I have suffered from for years but has been really out of control lately to the point where I’m struggling to hold down my job. I’m also drinking a lot to ease my nerves and just escape everything.

He prescribed me a low dose of xanax, but told me little about the drug. He knows about my drinking, but didn’t really mention anything about the xanax/alcohol combo. Maybe because he thought that being on medication, I would have no desire to drink. Surprise, surprise, not the case. Who knew alcoholism was a problem all of its own?! lol.

Anyhow, I have now seen posts on SR relating to xanax being used in conjunction with alcohol and leading to death and this has gotten me a little freaked out. Is this only in the case of a xanax overdose? What equates to a xanax overdose anyway? Or is it just xanax and alcohol that is the problem? Is all of this something that I need not be concerned about on a low dose?

Even if someone could point me to a useful site on medications that would be really helpful, as I haven’t been able to find any really legitimate ones.

Also wondering… I also have a history of depression and it seems that either one or the other (anxiety or depression) will be the over-arching emotion/situation/whatever. I’m a little worried that if xanax manages to ease my anxiety, it will just leave room for the depression to creep back. Anyone experienced this?

Thanks heaps.
Stacey.