View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kennethhoff

Just an Observation

This is just my personal observation, and maybe just my projection. I have been in Alanon for nine months now. I am grateful for the program, the teachings, slogans, readings, etc... I have changed for the better.
But here is an observation which I maybe completely wrong about. But I have noticed after listening, watching, and talking with so many members, that although Alanon presents a very nice fellowship and safe place to share, there are very few real friendships outside the meetings. It sometimes amazes me that even long time mebers who seem to talk so deep with others and would appear as ones who know each other so well, outside the meetings they are almost strangers. This occurred to me a while back and I have just watched as I go along. It seems as though the concept of anonymity and keeping the focus on oneself, can sometimes be a hinderance to deeper friendships of those who share so much.
I have talked with a few others and they noticed the same thing. I don't know if this is geographical, or whatever, but it goes along with a post someone else wrote in another forum that deeper friendhsips seems to be waning. Maybe technology, people being so busy, fears, etc... but it kinda surprised me especially in a such a more intimate sharing environment this seems to be the case. Like I said, just my own observation. Any one have thoughts on it?

Ken