Thread: Why Do I do it?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 12:07 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
justaround71
Paused

Have you ever been diagnosed or thought to have ADD/ADHD? Untreated adult ADD can be very devestating, people with ADD are at greater risk for illegal drug use and alcohol/drug addiction, about 80% of all sufferers untreated have abused alcohol or drugs. I was just wondering because from all your posts I have noticed a lot of me in them. You are quick to do things you know wrong with your friends although you don't want to in your mind. Impulsions are a major part of ADD. You also seem to have some problems thinking things out and acting upon first thought. Do you find it hard to stick with what you are doing? Find it hard not to be constantly doing something, just sitting around the house? Hard to live within the moment, always planning on what you will be doing? Fiddgety? Hard to pay attention? Find yourself following more than leading? Giving in? Thoughts jump very consistently, can't stay put with one for a significant period of time?

Before being treated for my ADD, I was never able to stop abusing drugs and alcohol because I had to be always doing something exciting, my mind could never concentrate on one thing and I could never stay with one thought, it made me depressed and fidgety. I was always bored with what I was doing. I never realized it to be a chemical imbalance. Just recently they found out just how bad this disorder can be untreated. People with ADD have an under-stimulation in their brains which makes it hard for us to really enjoy anything we are doing and stick with it. Jumping from one thing to the next, getting ourself into trouble by using drugs since they stimulate us, something exciting. I was just wondering if anyone in your family, your past teachers, peers, family doctor, have ever brought this up because believe it or not, I never got sober until I was put on medication for ADD. I finally enjoy life and really can get into what I am doing.