View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 01:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
c'est la vie

I've been struggling just recently with this. Something is causing me to feel that I NEED something to lean on in order to conquer my problem with alcohol addiction. I've read thousands of pages of stuff online in the last 8 months and I've gone to meetings and started working the steps of AA. I HAVE become addicted to recovery.

Maybe there is some merit to immersing myself in these early days since the knowledge of alcohol, program options, and uncovering my personal feelings is necessary in order to really get anywhere, but I feel like it's becoming overwhelming. Now I'm even questioning going to meetings since I feel like that's the next thing that could become addicting. I see the pattern of feeling edging and immediately saying, "I need a meeting". I stepped back one day and realized I've just replace, "I need a drink". What I really need is to figure out a way to not NEED something.

Do you believe once an addict always an addict? We just need to replace the bad addiction with a good addiction. Or can we somehow change that whole chemical/behavioral reaction that stirs up that powerful NEED of something? I suppose after another thousand pages I'll figure that out too. In the mean time, I'm addicted to typing here at SR.