Thread: Potentials
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
temlin3
Addict

Potentials... Capabilities for Change?

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
I have no concept for fashion. Pure function. It is pretty ridiculous, I suppose. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Maybe it should, but it just doesn't.
NOT ridiculous. Not at all! I have always been fashion-confused, or however you want to put it. I buy things that I think are "pretty" or that feel like MY style. Comfort is key. I was always the girl in college that my roommates would check on for "appearance" before we went out. Most of the time I laughed because I didn't care, but I did oblige them on several occasions.To this day, I still have almost no concept of color schemes, accessories, hair styles, yadda yadda yadda. I'm the girl who lives in pajamas and T-shirts on a daily basis. I figure, we might as well be comfortable, right? Who do we have to impress? If I do happen to get married someday, he'll have to deal with the PJs and T-shirts at some point, so why not now?

As for the other points in this thread, the open doors, open minds, consistent learning, and progressive personal growth strike me as the most imperative to consider. I entirely agree with the ideas posted here. The more we open up to the world, the more we understand. The more we understand about the world around us, the more we find out about ourselves. And isn't that our own true duty in this life? To become who we are in body, mind, and spirit... and then reveal the capabilities we were meant to have in order to accomplish what we are meant to do on this earth. Isn't there a quote like that? ...Let me look it up quickly...

"To realize one's own destiny is a person's only obligation."
— Paulo Coelho, from The Alchemist

Yes, I truly believe we were all created for a reason (how it happened and who actually initiated it I'm not sure), but I do think we must strive to discover it. There's an "energy" in this world that connects us all, no matter how diverse we are in human nature. This "energy" must be all-consuming and existent in everyone's life if it is to be true in the human spirit. I do believe it exists regardless of what the world population feels.

Perception... This idea still boggles my mind and probably will until the end of time. Each person has a different set of genes, a different set of social experiences, and a different personality/behavior pattern that somehow has developed on the way to adulthood. Therefore, what is objective? Is there an objective perception? This, to me, is the most difficult concept to grasp when observing people, behaviors, and beliefs. Every day is another chance to "create" or "discover" something new, and it's quite impossible to keep up with everything.

Boy... Life can be exhausting, can't it?

Thank you for the food for thought. A great discussion and a source of further debate inside this overthinking head of mine.

Take care everyone. I wish you all the best!
Jennifer

P.S. — Flip flops are the best invention since sliced bread!