Thread: Braveheart
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 01:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Autumn
alconaut

Originally Posted by Free Roll
I think I would rather go to jail than suffer through 200 agonizing meetings of drunken rehash.
Well, some things are for certain. MG definitely has the time, money, and influence to precipitate some changes within the California legislature. Not to mention a bit of pull with Mr. Schwartzenegger.

I think he's a little pre-occupied with his public image - apparent through his attempts at self-redemption since the incident - which makes his sincerity questionable. Especially with evidence of having made anti-semitic remarks in the past.

He might really dig AA though.

Since he won't be able to get away with forging court slips due to his high-visibility, perhaps he will discover AA doesn't benefit his agenda (personal or public), and California offenders will soon be offered an array of rehabilitation choices.

I wouldn't count on it, but you never know.

I just can't help thinking he's going to play right into the powerless and diseased role as a means for appealing to the public's sympathies. The aspect of a Higher Power he will undoubtedly find appealing as well (NOT bashing).

If that STAR article (!hurl!) Don posted awhile back is true, the arresting officer (who is Jewish) did the public no favors by shrugging off responsibility of MG's behavior to the effects of alcohol! In fact, I'm quite surprised that being a man of the law, he would even suggest something like that. Our prisons are filled with individuals who have committed crimes while under the influence, which clearly indicates the amount of responsibility a judge levels on substance abusers!