View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
brigid
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Now then Don S., the question is, how to suggest this material you provide to another who needs to hear this so desperately, but is so unwilling to LOOK at it. I don't want to leave my home but can't keep living this "life of quiet frustration", either.
I could not make anyone come on a trip to a place that I thought they should go to. I can only take myself and see who else is with me.

I couple of ideas though:
  • Do not react to emotional manipulation.
  • Ask for a thank you if you feel it is what you want to hear.
  • Quietly and calmly state your own perspective from your point of view. Do NOT use the word "you", only use the word "I" and leave out the emotion in your vioce if possible.
  • Do things for yourself occassionally, regularly.
  • Be prepared to listen to the other point of view, if I have my position, someone else will have theirs.

I used to drink and smoke pot to do something for myself, now I do other things and I really think it is necessary for me to look after me in some nice way - no one else will. And if I don't look after me, no one else will think that I am worth looking after either.

Last thing, after trying .... end a hopeless relationship. Know that life continues and you can live it the way you feel you would like to.

I have just made changes in my own life, it is getting much better .. the emotional manipulation and guilt trips are no longer in my home and I feel better every day. Some very difficult initial steps were needed to be taken by me, but at the end of the day, it is all going to be ok for me, in fact much better than ok ... I can walk in the garden with the flowers rather than on the path with all the weeds and rocks that hurt my feet.

I am not being constantly put down because someone else is insecure. I am not being constantly harassed about doing the right thing, because someone else does not want to do the right thing. I am being just me and that is quite nice to be for a change. I am finding more people who like me for me and are not negative, very uplifting and much easier to wake up to the day, not so many downers.

peace and love,
Brigid