Thread: Potentials
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

Potentials

Potential:
1) possible, as opposed to actual 2) capable of being or becoming

There's been more new material on this forum than I've been able to fully process this week, but I try. And in trying, I'm learning. Learning opens doors to perception I'd not previously recognized exist. Such vast potential in this for positive change. We don't realize what we don't know, and we can't recognize it if we're closed to the potential for change, in allowing alternative perspectives in. Such is why I (try to) welcome them all, even those I don't agree with, or understand.

Yesterday I toured an art exhibit, the works of surrealist Alexander Calder. His work concentrated in the medium of mobiles and scuplture. I admire the concept of surrealism, how it explores the unrealized potentials of nature; surrealism rises out of nature and explores ideas beyond reality. Calder's mobiles focued on movement, subtle vibrations, and shadows created by the movement of his work. The shadows were as integral a part of the art as the object itself.

"The aestheic value of these Objects cannot be appreciated through reason."
-Alexander Calder.

Which is precisely why it appeals to that side of my thinking so greatly. To disengage pure known reasoning and consider the alternative potentials to what exists as we perceive it. What things could be. What we don't see. What are the possibilities beyond what are perceived by our own minds eye, through the filters of our emotions and predetermined conditioning. To see BEYOND our own limitations, to explore points of view outside our own realized capacity, is to truly allow for growth and learning and change... to begin, to continue, to flourish. Lacking vigilance in continued open-mindedness, life can become very dark and isolated, depressing and lonely. But with an open mind to the alternatives, life never ceases to be interesting, enjoyable, and I think out of that, happiness arises.

This may seem trivial and maybe even obvious, but to me today, it's of monumental relevance. I think things through through written word, and so greatly appreciate being able to so express my thinking here. Grateful.