View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 03:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

Inlaws coming to stay....

Tomorrow night my inlaws arrive to stay until Sunday. The bedroom is ready but the house still needs work and I'm nervous.

I want to offer good hospitality and I'm fairly confident I can do that but I'm nervous about my HOME. They are visiting where I grew up (well a mile away) they will drive through the streets I played in as a kid and it's a bit of an aquired taste!! My home is so much part of me, I love it deeply and I can be sensitive hearing how some others are disgusted or afraid of it.

D's father hasn't been in a city for over 20 years, he's alot like D in that he's uncomfortable somewhere strange and quite shy, D's mother is friendly but a Daily Mail reader which doesn't bode well for mixed comunities!! Although I think both care greatly about being fair they haven't known mixed communities. In the markets (both of which they want to visit) they will hear 10 languages at a time, watch the clashes I grew up watching, see the sari silks and watch bargaining gestured, spoken and half begged sometimes.

Our asian friends are keen to be included in 'visiting parents', they make food so that's what they want to do, as well as to be introduced and ask about jobs and things. They want to talk about villages and compare notes. I'm struggling to put my crystal ball down in imagining how D's parents will react to the invasion of privacy (sort of normal and not 'bad') coupled with being the dignitaries of the day!!

I'm so proud of my place, I'm so proud of community. I feel all sensitive.....