View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Autumn
alconaut

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
But it's not just about drugs, it's about connecting with people. About allowing outside perspectives in. And about learning new ways of enjoying one's mind, the minds of others, and life in general. What's to fear in open exchange of thoughts and ideas. So long as your motives are in the right place.

That is so on target with my line of thinking, Five. It's what prompted me to attempt to move beyond active use, so to reclaim my mind and get on with life. Three, four months into seriously looking at this addiction, it frustrated me to find this is such a monumental process; I always thought I'd give up the drugs when it was time and naturally move right on to whatever came next. Now 18 months later I'm still consumed in thought about drugs, though not about finding/ acquiring/ using, instead about learning/ improving/ changing. Definitely a more mentally productive direction, and honestly a more rewarding path especially for the long term outlook. I've met some of the most fantastically creative, intelligent, thoughtful, humorous people here. Happily invested. Moving beyond active addiction remains a daily struggle, but it's not nearly so intimidating or frustrating as it was even just a few months ago. Even the "judgmental" sorts contribute to my learning and understanding of myself and human nature overall.
This is a fantastic post, and truly resonates with me! Really sums it up. Thanks Gainor.

I thought I was addicted to recovery and being online. I stopped posting earlier this year, for a couple of months or so, with all these grandiose ideas about all I was going to accomplish. Instead, I hibernated and went to sleep. I still hadn't/haven't learned how to live a full life without alcohol. Like you said Gainor, this is a monumental process (though I think it is worthwhile for us to change that perception). Participation on this site is a priceless experience. My sobriety comes before anything, and if being here helps fill the void that alcohol once did, then I'm right where I need to be until I improve upon newer thoughts and behaviors. Alcohol was part and parcel of every activity for me. I think it's important to recognize and accept that even though there were times that being high or drunk felt great, the bad times far outweighed the good, (which were always fleeting and temporary). It's when we learn to appreciate life's natural highs (which surpass artificial highs in their quality and value), and find worth in the lows that we can live life to the fullest. It seems that learning to deal with life's problems effectively - without dependence upon a mind-numbing crutch - generates a sense of accomplishment. This raises our feelings of self-confidence, well-being and self-sufficiency.