View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bobbybanned

Question

So it seems, considering human nature and the course humans tend to take through their lives journey (generally speaking)...right from start, infancy, individual needs are the only concern. Having those needs met, in a group setting (family) immediately demonstrates the necessity of collectiveness. In an emotionally healthy family, it would seem that a person would grow with a relatively decent understanding of how an individual life contributes to the group. Contribution may very well be the key to understanding the benefits to not only giving, but receiving as well.
Furthermore it seems likely that the human brain evolved in such a way, particularly through the emotions, that an actual need for social stimulation exists. It also seems evident that if an individual is failing to meet their specific individual needs, that they may have much less to contribute to the group.
Considering myself as a mere example, I gre up in a dysfunctional family and taught myself to look out for number one (me) and in the process I experienced painful consequences that further created painful consequences. I became withdrawn and suffered and used drugs to deal with the pain. This was kind of like this whole process in reverse. I couldn't participate with the group, so I suffered independant of the group, because emotionally, I was (in some form or another--more dependent on the group than I understood). As I began straighting my life out and contributing and participating amongst the group, (whatever group....just people) than I began to (individually) benefit from the contribution and participation.
I guess if I had a point, in the human arena, individuality, as important as it is, seems to find it's value through collective approval. Approval meaning, acknowledged, accepted and valued. Yes, it starts with ourselves, but we cannot ignore our inherent desire to coexist and be stimulated through the process.....I think

Then I suppose, steering back toward the initial consideration of this thread, (if I properly understood that consideration--which I may not have, but anyway) individually speaking, having we adapted in such a fashion that we contribute to the group in such a fashion that it comes back to make us scratch our heads and wonder about our place in the group or the groups function toward us, or any other scenerio for that matter.
To simplify, for me, I consider what my needs are and discover I need the group, for interaction. I also wonder if accountability (individual) will best put me in a position to contribute to the group as a means of it giving back.
Maybe I should step back and think about this some more. To hell with the group, I'm going to smoke a cigarette. (just kidding) except I really am going to smoke a cigarette.