View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

I love the humor that comes with recovery, it tends to be a little on the dark side, but there sre just somethings you have to laugh at to keep from crying about. Socializing and acting a fool with my friends in recovery probably makes up about 60% of my recovery program, without the fun and humor, I wouldn't have stuck around.....I wouldn't have gotten clean if everyday was to be lived in a serious robotesque fashion.

Now on to my addiction....

I am thuroughly addicted to recovery....**** I got an NA logo tattooed on my chest....I am also addicted to breathing.....the way I look at it is that if I recover from my addiction to breathing, I'll die, same with my addiction to recovery, if I stop being in recovery I'll go back to using eventually and I'll end up in jail or dead.

For the entire first year of my recovery, I hit an NA meeting every single night. Now, I still got to about 4 or 5 meetings a week, but I have realized that all this not using dope for a while has given me a life outside of NA to deal with too, which is a good thing. Balance is the key, and as addicts we are not too good with that concept, but just like anything else, it takes trial and error to learn.

An oldtimer said something at a meeting I went to once that I still remember, "If you are sitting around here with 5 years clean or more and are still going to 7 meetings a week or more, you are hiding from life in NA, and that's not what recovery is about" Recovery is about getting better so that we can have a life, if I refuse to live that life, I'm pissing on my recovery...make sense?