Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ibhmn

I had lots of noble reasons but the final straw was physical in nature. I really wooried about the example I was setting for my kids and I had paranoia that the cops or my friends or employees would find out that I was an "alchy."

It eventually took realizing that I wasn't having the hypoglycemic shakes after lunch--I was going through alcohol withdrawal from the night before. Also, all the crazy nightmares that woke me up with my heart racing--not just anxiety like I thought but anxiety due to alcohol wihtdrawal.

Those anxious arguments with my wife--certainly fueled by alcohol overconsumtion--or a few hours later...alcohol withdrawal.

The blood pressure that kept creeping up due to my anxiety...well it was creeping up due to alcohol withdrawls. This woke me up. I was going to have to take a cocktail of medicines to control my anxiety and blood pressure and support my alcohol habit (lucky liver)...or I was going to have to quit and give my liver the break it so richly desreved.

So I quit (22 days now). I can't say that I don't miss it--but I do miss the consequences...and I'm finally able to look my teenage kids in the eyes when talking to them about drinking and driving. That's the best outcome of all. I just wish I could have done it earlier and for the more noble reasons...better late than never huh...

Thanks for the thread Levi.