View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Music

Hi there PG,
You wrote:

"My counseler told me the other day, that with the disease of alcoholism, that no matter how confident we might feel, that alcohol bottle never leaves us. It's always sitting there on a shelf in the back of our minds somewhere waiting to resurface if we let it...."

Smart counseler! S/He's a keeper. Listen and learn.
I've been sober 9,700 days! That is a fact that I'm sure of and as of right now, about the only thing I'm sure of.
I'm confident of a couple things though. 1)AA works if I work it. 2)God will help me if I ask Him. 3)I can't get drunk if I don't pick up that first drink. 4)If I do today, what I did yesterday, I'll be ok.
I'm still a baby in AA only because I can get just as drunk just as fast as you can if I pick up that drink and I can never forget that. Time in the program is important because people like me can show people like you that AA and God will do the job IF we do the footwork.
What I'm not confident about and I hope and pray I never do get confident about is that I CAN EVER SAFELY DRINK ALCOHOL AGAIN. I keep it real simple. Every so often I re-read page 21 (I think) in the Big Book about "The Read Alcoholic." That's me!